Human trafficking happens in this city because of cycles of brokenness, whether that be sexual, emotional or relational. The cycles need to be broken so that traffickers, buyers, and victims will find their way to freedom. Pray that the love of Jesus would flood this city and that those lost in darkness would see a great light!
Houston, Texas, the fourth largest city in the U.S., is considered the number one hub of human trafficking in the United States.
Factors that contribute to Houston’s trafficking problems are:
- A large population.
- Our proximity to the border.
- Houston and the Bay Area are home to two of the busiest ports in the country-The Port of Houston and the Port of Galveston.
- The Interstate 10 corridor through the city is considered the number 1 route for human trafficking the in U.S.
- As one of the most multicultural and international communities in the country, Houston is a major entry point for immigrants, many of whom are desperate, susceptible to traffickers, and easy to hide.
- Houston has a large population of vulnerable youth including runaways and the homeless.
- High demand for sex-trafficking victims.
In response, UnBound Houston is mobilizing Project Teams in the Houston Bay Area and beyond with specific focus on awareness, demand reduction and advocacy to fight sex trafficking.
UnBound Houston actively provides opportunities to inform students and citizen groups in the Houston area about the scourge of human trafficking in our city. We offer insightful, informative presentations specifically targeting three distinct audiences: school-age youth, college/young adults and adult/civic organizations to help prevent and identify sex trafficking. Please contact us to schedule a presentation for your group.
UnBound Houston works with at-risk youth in Brazoria County in our program called JVUB. Girls on probation with Brazoria County are required to complete a two session program with UnBound Houston. During these sessions we speak value into their lives, give tools for good decision making and share with them the lures, lies and tricks of traffickers. Please contact us for more info on JVUB.
UnBound Houston works closely with Fight the New Drug (FTND), introducing them to local school officials and facilitating access for local school districts by funding their assemblies. FTND “presents an interactive and age-appropriate presentation that uses science, research and personal accounts to educate students about the harmful effects of pornography.” Our hope is that school districts across the Houston area will invite FTND to conduct school assemblies in their district. “As we present our message, not only do we educate teens on the harmful effects of pornography to allow them to make an informed decision but we also give them a place to turn for help (Fortify program), as so many are silently struggling and are too ashamed or embarrassed to reach out for help.” We believe that empowering students to understand the addictive nature of pornography and its long term effects will reduce demand for human trafficking victims and provide safety for our state’s young people.
Unbound Houston provides professional trainings for health care providers (CNE approved) as well as legal, educational, and hospitality professionals. Please contact us for more info about a professional training for your Houston area group.
We advocate for survivors referred to us by providing for immediate needs, volunteering legal services, medical care, and counseling, ultimately facilitating an aftercare home placement or other service to help each survivor through his or her unique restoration process.
We are also committed to partner with our friends in the Dominican Republic to see an end to trafficking there.
No events are scheduled at this time.
• For God to give us an increase of HIS HEART of love and mercy for those trapped in sex trafficking.
• For those being trafficked – that God’s power and light would penetrate the darkness and give them HOPE that He loves them and that others are fighting on their behalf.
• For those who are addicted to pornography – that they would seek DELIVERANCE and healing in Christ as the Holy Spirit’s conviction comes upon them.
• For the PROVISION of funds for the work He has set before us.
• For continued OPPORTUNITIES to enlighten the church and our community at large about human trafficking, specifically in the greater Houston area and for others to join us in the fight.
• For continued and strengthened alliances with others in the Houston area fighting human trafficking.
• For continued favor as we establish our UnBound work in the DR.
“Now to Him who is able to do exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think … to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.” Ephesians 3:20- 21
We need you! We are overjoyed and blessed with any skill and time you are able to provide. Please review the volunteer opportunities below.
Questions? Contact Christa Mayfield.
We are looking for…
Artists– visual artists, dancers/choreographers, writers, etc. to donate their work on a project by project basis
Counseling consultants – trained / licensed counselors
Legal consultants – lawyers who can donate legal services for victims
Donors – We have many projects ahead of us that need funding. If you are able to help us by providing funding for a school assembly or another special project, please click the “Donate” button at the top of the website.
Do you have another idea of how you could serve with us? Please share!
Let us know if you have questions about time commitments and thank you for prayerfully considering serving with us!